Apply to the ACA
The Shakespeare Theatre Company’s Academy for Classical Acting at The George Washington University is currently accepting applications for the 2015-2016 academic year.
In order to receive a master’s degree, applicants to the Shakespeare Theatre Company’s Academy for Classical Acting at The George Washington University must hold an undergraduate degree from an accredited institution of higher learning as well as demonstrate a strong foundation of study and practice in theatre and a willingness to undertake rigorous classical theatre training. All applicants must meet the requirements for graduate study at GW.
Applicants without an undergraduate degree who have demonstrated professional commitment through their work in theatre are eligible to apply to the program; such applicants, if accepted, receive a Certificate of Completion in lieu of the MFA degree. Tuition and fees are the same for certificate and degree students.
Submit the following to The George Washington University:
- Complete an online application. For an application, click here and then click on “apply for admission.” If you have problems accessing an application or connecting to the GW website, please call 202.994.2819.
- Pay a non-refundable application fee of $75 (do not send cash).
- Request official or certified copies of academic records/transcripts to be sent to The George Washington University.
Mail your application materials to:
Columbian College of Arts and Sciences – Graduate Admissions Office
The George Washington University
801 22nd Street NW, Phillips Hall 107
Washington DC 20052
(No GRE or other standardized test scores are required, except for international students, who must submit TOEFL scores along with the application.)
*Once your application is received, you will be contacted by the ACA to schedule an audition.
Once we have received your application materials, we will offer you an audition slot in the city of your choice.
We will be holding auditions in the following cities on the following dates:
- Washington DC – Saturday, January 31st
- New York – Saturday, February 7th
- Chicago – Saturday, February 14th
- Seattle – Saturday, February 21st
For the audition, please prepare two classical, contrasting monologues (from Shakespeare and in verse) that are 2-3 minutes each in length. Callbacks are held on the same day as your audition. If you are called back, you should have 1-2 additional classical monologues prepared as well as a contemporary piece.