Health and Safety – Updated October 15, 2020
Everyone’s health and safety is our top priority at STC. As we prepare to welcome audiences back, we will be developing procedures to best serve everyone entering our theatre. These plans will continue to evolve as we learn more.
Explore the revised 2020/21 Season
- All staff, volunteers, and visitors will wear face masks in our buildings.
- We request that any patron who is feeling ill to please stay home. Our staff and volunteers will do the same.
- Before your performance, look for an STC Virtual Valet message in your email which will include all of our safety guidelines plus any updates from ReOpen DC campaign in accordance with the Mayor’s office.
Enhanced Cleaning Procedures
- In addition to our normal cleaning process, we will increase the cleaning all public spaces, including the theatres, lobbies, and restrooms.
- We are thoroughly disinfecting door handles, counters, and all shared surfaces prior to and after every performance.
- Hand sanitizer stations will be available throughout the building.
Tickets & Seating – Travel from the street to your seat in a completely contactless manner.
- A fully digital ticketing system allows contactless ticket scanning.
- Entrances and exits will be clearly marked for single flow of patrons. Elevator rides will be limited to individual parties.
- In accordance with our city government’s ReOpen DC plan, our theatre’s seating has been reduced for proper social distancing. In Sidney Harman Hall our maximum seating capacity for performances will be 196 (normal capacity 761) and no mainstage shows will be at the Michael R. Klein Theatre at the Lansburgh.
- Alternate rows will be left empty to allow at least six feet of distance between audience members. In almost all instances patrons will be able to sit with all members of their own party.
- Our programs will be digital. In addition to information about the production, programs will offer enhanced content including videos and up-to-date extras. Programs will be accessible through our website and sent by Virtual Valet email in advance of each performance.
- We recognize these are uncertain times. If for any reason we must cancel a performance we will honor our audience’s commitment to STC by offering a full array of ticket exchange and refund options.
- We’re not done. These plans and procedures are the first steps to safeguarding STC patrons. We welcome all feedback and recommendations for improvements. Please email STCBox@ShakespeareTheatre.org to let our Safety Committee know your ideas and concerns.