Expectations of ushers
- represent Shakespeare Theatre Company in a positive manner
- make a commitment to fulfill your duties as assigned
- arrive 90 minutes prior to the performance
- provide at least 24-hour notice if you need to cancel your ushering assignment
- have a working email address that can be used for usher-related correspondence
- be able to stand for up to 1 hour
- adhere to the instructions of the House Managers at all times
- adhere to the Usher Dress Code (business casual) including appropriate footwear
- return to your assigned station for all of Intermission
- no food or drink may be consumed once the lobbies open to the public
- Seeing the performance you usher for (we cannot guarantee that you will be seated).
- 10% off tuition for STC Classes.
- 10% off merchandise at the gift shop.
- Coffee or tea for each STC Main stage production that you usher for.
- The opportunity to usher at booked in events (Synetic Theater, The Washington Ballet, Washington Performing Arts Society, etc.)
Become an Usher
How do I become an usher at STC?
- Submit the online usher application.
- Attend an orientation tour of Harman Hall & The Lansburgh Theatre.
- Complete a trial ushering assignment.
STC will then notify you of your acceptance.
STC is currently not accepting applications for new ushers. Please check back on this page to find out when additional ushering opportunites open up.
FAQs about Ushering
Something has come up and I can’t usher as scheduled. What is the best way to get in touch with House Management?
Please email us. You may also call the Usher hotline at 202.608.6330 between 10:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. If a last minute cancellation is needed you may be able to reach the Box Office at 202-547-1122 to leave a message if available. NOTE: Messages left on this line may not be checked until the next day, so email is the best way to get in touch.
NOTE: if you miss more than two ushering dates without providing 24 hours notice you will be removed from the usher list.
When I usher, am I guaranteed a seat for the performance?
We make every effort to seat our ushers; however, during sold-out performances, it may not be possible and you may need to watch the performance from a lobby monitor. Please note that you are expected to stay for the entire performance to fulfill your usher duties even if you are not seated.
What is the dress code for ushers?
Dress code for ushers is business casual attire, which means dress slacks, a skirt or dress for women, and dress slacks and a button-down shirt or sweater for men. We do not require black and white clothing, although it is acceptable. Please note that the following attire is prohibited for ushers:
- Any clothing with slogans
- Sneakers/tennis shoes/open toe shoes/snow boots
- Athletic attire (including yoga wear)
Please remember that you are representing the Shakespeare Theatre Company when you usher. If you are dressed inappropriately, you will be asked by House Management to leave.
What should I do when I arrive at the theatre to usher?
If you are ushering at the Lansburgh Theatre, please wait in the Rotunda Lobby until House Management opens the doors. Please do not approach the Box Office unless purchasing tickets.
If you are ushering at Sidney Harman Hall, you may enter the main lobby and go straight up to the mezzanine lobby to sign in with House Management. If you see a staff member, please identify yourself as an usher.
Please email us. You may also call the Usher hotline at 202-608-6330 between 10:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. NOTE: Messages left on this line may not be checked until the next day, so email is the best way to get in touch.