Shakespeare Theatre Company believes that 100% of D.C.’s Public and Public Charter High School students should have access to classical theatre. Because the arts are integral to the growth of every child, this access is critical to the well-rounded education of our city’s students. We envision a future where every DCPS and DCPCS student has the opportunity to experience the timeless themes and language of Shakespeare in live performance.
Each D.C. Public and Public Charter High School receives, completely free of charge:
- Tickets to attend a SHAKESPEARIENCE Student Matinee
- Buses to transport students to and from the SHAKESPEARIENCE Student Matinee
- Pre-show workshops in all participating classrooms to prepare students to see the play
- Curriculum guides with lesson plans, background information and discussion questions
- Post-show discussion with the cast of the show immediately following the performance
- A professional development workshop for those teaching Romeo & Juliet and Macbeth this season. During each workshop, teachers will explore interactive activities designed to excite and engage students in studying Shakespeare. The workshops will take place during preview week of the show and participation will include 2 free tickets to that evening’s performance.
To learn more about participating in District Shakespeare contact Vanessa Hope, School Programs Manager, at 202.547.3230 ext. 2105 or by email.
Click here to view Frequently Asked Questions about SHAKESPEARIENCE Student Matinees.
2016-2017 Student Matinee Performances
History of District Shakespeare
These D.C. high schools are coming to District Shakespeare. You should, too!
District Shakespeare is made possible through the generous support of the Beech Street Foundation.
Paul M. Angell Family Foundation
Mr. Jerry Knoll
Solon E. Summerfield Foundation
Suzanne and Glenn Youngkin
The Shakespeare Theatre Company’s student matinee programs are part of Shakespeare in American Communities, a national program of the National Endowment for the Arts in partnership with Arts Midwest.