Virtual Camp Shakespeare
VIRTUAL CAMP SHAKESPEARE 2020
Camp Shakespeare Update: July 28, 2020
Dear Camp Shakespeare Students and Families,
We are halfway through our inaugural Virtual Camp Shakespeare!
When Mayor Bowser and the ReOpen DC Advisory Group recommended that physical summer camps remain closed, we did what we do best at Camp Shakespeare—embrace the chaos, be creative, and improvise—so that we could offer the very best virtual-version of our summer camp for budding Bards.
This is what parents and campers have been saying about Virtual Camp Shakespeare:
- “I can’t even begin to describe how much my daughter loved Virtual Camp Shakespeare. Really the most excited I’ve seen her since before COVID. Thanks for bringing this joy to her!”
- “All the teachers are simply excellent – compassionate and innovative and talented – and my daughter is loving it. The virus has shrunk her world, what with not being able to see friends or go to all the usual places. So, the enrichment Virtual Camp Shakespeare is providing is invaluable.”
- “I am so impressed with your ability as a company to pivot and offer a fully online experience that still engaged the kids. My son really thoroughly enjoyed it, while also being challenged, and got such a lot from the overall experience.”
We are so proud of our teaching artists, our campers, and the entire community making Virtual Camp Shakespeare such a success!
AUGUST 2020 SESSIONS
- August 3 – 7: Poppets (Ages 7 – 8) discover As You Like It
- August 10 – 21: Young Players (Ages 12 – 14) explore The Comedy of Errors
- August 10 – 21: King’s Company (Ages 15 – 18) tackle The Tempest
Sorry! Sold Out
- August 10 – 14: Poppets (Ages 7 – 8) discover Hamlet
- August 10 – 21: Groundlings (Ages 9 – 11) explore Twelfth Night
- August 17 – 21: Poppets (Ages 7 – 8) discover Twelfth Night
Each virtual session is led by two STC Teaching Artists and a college intern currently studying theatre. Camp days are adjusted to include a variety of both instruction and physical activity, and smaller class sizes maximize engagement. Complete session information, including updated schedules, pricing, and technical requirements, is available here on our website.
We are also considering adding new sessions during the last week of August/first week of September. Please check this page next week for updates or email email@example.com for more information. Fall classes for youth and teens will be announced soon!
We hope to see your campers soon,
Every summer, Shakespeare Theatre Company gives students between the ages of 7 and 18 the chance to dive into the world of one of the most celebrated playwrights in history: William Shakespeare. For summer 2020, we are reimagining our popular in-person camps into fun and flexible online experiences through Zoom (an online video communication service).
We are offering one-week morning sessions for Poppets (ages 7 – 8) and two-week camps for Groundlings (mornings, ages 9 – 11), Young Players (afternoons, ages 12 – 14) and King’s Company (afternoons, ages 15 – 18). For returning Young Players and King’s Company, we offer a three-week, full-day Intensive (by audition only). Our age groups are based on the optimum peer groups for creating positive, collaborative ensembles.
At Virtual Camp Shakespeare, students will:
Transform into Shakespeare’s characters through voice, movement and imagination
Unravel Shakespeare’s plays with text analysis
Develop fundamental acting skills
Connect with other students outside of class and rehearsal in virtual lunchrooms
Perform for friends and family in a recorded (and shareable!) showcase
Our Commitment to Inclusion:
Virtual Camp Shakespeare provides a safe and supportive environment for everyone regardless of ability, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, cultural background, national origin, citizenship, faith, ideology, and income. Together we ensure that everyone feels secure and has the opportunity to build confidence in the power of their own voice, imagination and artistic ability with dignity. We endeavor to create a fully inclusive culture that values equality and fosters respect for all people while we collaborate to explore and perform Shakespeare’s plays.
Every camper receives a 15-minute one-on-one coaching session with an STC staff member!
Campers will need a computer or tablet with a video camera and microphone, a reliable internet connection, access to emailed materials (including password-protected Zoom links – no Zoom account needed), and space to vocalize, move, write, and play. Information and sign-ups for weekly Camp orientations, including Zoom tutorials, will be emailed the week prior to each session.
If you are already registered for Camp, please fill out this form to let us know your preferences for participating in Virtual Camp Shakespeare and for reallocating your tuition savings.
Tuition, Discounts & Scholarships
If you have any questions regarding Virtual Camp Shakespeare, please contact New Generations Manager, Julane Havens, at jhavens@ShakespeareTheatre.org