Virtual Camp Shakespeare
VIRTUAL CAMP SHAKESPEARE 2020
Camp Shakespeare Update: May 29, 2020
Dear Camp Shakespeare Students and Families,
This summer Camp Shakespeare will take place online and be known as Virtual Camp Shakespeare.
Mayor Bowser and the ReOpen DC Advisory Group recommend that summer camps remain closed through “Stage 1” of reopening DC. We were all looking forward to being together in-person this summer, but we feel the best course of action is to protect the health and safety of our campers and staff.
We have been working for weeks on the logistics and content for this summer and I’m pleased to share that Virtual Camp Shakespeare will…
- Provide fun, exceptional theatre training from innovative Teaching Artists.
- Offer creative and social outlets through classes reimagined for an online format, with smaller rehearsal groups, one-on-one coaching, virtual lunchrooms, and more!
- Connect us through Shakespeare during this time of physical distancing.
- Save families money. All tuitions have been reduced by 35-50% and scholarships are still available at all age ranges.
Each virtual session will be led by two STC Teaching Artists and a college intern currently studying theatre. Camp days have been adjusted to include a variety of both instruction and physical activity, and class sizes have been reduced to maximize engagement. Complete session information, including updated schedules, pricing, and technical requirements, is available on the Shakespeare Theatre Company website.
Registered campers will be emailed updated student information forms and a digital handbook with materials the week before their session(s) begin (these can be mailed upon request). Camp orientation, including a tutorial in Zoom (an online video communication service), will be available weekly for interested families throughout the summer.
If you are already registered for Camp, please fill out this form to let us know your preferences for participating in Virtual Camp Shakespeare and for reallocating your tuition savings. You have several options to consider:
These options include:
- Keeping your spot(s) and donating your tuition difference back to STC as a tax-deductible charitable contribution. This will help STC survive the coronavirus pandemic, allowing us to provide meaningful education programs like Camp Shakespeare for many years to come.
- Crediting your tuition difference or the full amount to Camp Shakespeare 2021. This credit will remain on your account until you contact us to register for next summer.
- Receiving a full refund. We sincerely hope you will remain a part of Virtual Camp Shakespeare, but we understand if an online summer experience is not right for you or your family. You may request a refund to the credit card you used at registration – and we will look forward to seeing you next summer! Please allow two weeks for processing.
With much appreciation for your patience and support,
Every summer, Shakespeare Theatre Company gives students between the ages of 7 and 18 the chance to dive into the world of one of the most celebrated playwrights in history: William Shakespeare. For summer 2020, we are reimagining our popular in-person camps into fun and flexible online experiences through Zoom (an online video communication service).
We are offering one-week morning sessions for Poppets (ages 7-8) and two-week camps for Groundlings (mornings, ages 9-11), Young Players (afternoons, ages 12-14) and King’s Company (afternoons, ages 15-18). For returning Young Players and King’s Company, we offer a three-week, full-day Intensive (by audition only). Our age groups are based on the optimum peer groups for creating positive, collaborative ensembles.
At Virtual Camp Shakespeare, students will:
Transform into Shakespeare’s characters through voice, movement and imagination
Unravel Shakespeare’s plays with text analysis
Develop fundamental acting skills
Connect with other students outside of class and rehearsal in virtual lunchrooms
Perform for friends and family in a recorded (and shareable!) showcase
Our Commitment to Inclusion:
Virtual Camp Shakespeare provides a safe and supportive environment for everyone regardless of ability, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, cultural background, national origin, citizenship, faith, ideology, and income. Together we ensure that everyone feels secure and has the opportunity to build confidence in the power of their own voice, imagination and artistic ability with dignity. We endeavor to create a fully inclusive culture that values equality and fosters respect for all people while we collaborate to explore and perform Shakespeare’s plays.
Every camper receives a 15-minute one-on-one coaching session with an STC staff member!
Campers will need a computer or tablet with a video camera and microphone, a reliable internet connection, access to emailed materials (including password-protected Zoom links – no Zoom account needed), and space to vocalize, move, write, and play. Information and sign-ups for weekly Camp orientations, including Zoom tutorials, will be emailed the week prior to each session.
If you are already registered for Camp, please fill out this form to let us know your preferences for participating in Virtual Camp Shakespeare and for reallocating your tuition savings.